All about Kiwano
Also known as horned melon or jelly melon
Taste: refreshingly subtle mix of banana, lime, and passionfruit all enveloped in a cool vibrant green jelly.
Growing: U.S.A and New Zealand
Season: January thru June
Ripe: The kiwano, when ripe, has vibrant orange skin
Open: Slice in half. Loosen the insides by pushing a knife into it several times. Scoop out the insides with a spoon. Or squeeze the insides out by squeezing a half with both hands.
In the know
Ideas for enjoying kiwano
Orange and spiky on the outside, kiwano’s insides are a vibrant green with small jewel-like jelly globes. A seed is encased inside each globe.
- Simply enjoy with a spoon. Eat the seeds!
- Try adding to smoothies, iced teas, and drinks.
- Scoop over yogurt or ice cream.
- Toss into salads, creamy or leafy.
- Stir into salsas and sauces, making the perfect touch for seafood and meat.
Kiwano packs a nutritional punch, being a great source of minerals including magnesium and potassium. They’re also a good source of dietary fiber.
Hit the Snackpot!
Kiwano has a very low natural sugar content compared to other fruits, making it a great filling snack for those watching their calories.