Is this Solo papaya ripe?
Is it ripe?
How to ripen
- Don’t refrigerate before it’s ripe! The Solo papaya comes from the tropics and doesn’t like the cold.
- Keep it out on the kitchen counter at 70 to 80 degrees to ripen.
- Ripen faster by putting in a paper bag with an apple or banana. This works because apples and bananas emit a natural gas called ethylene which helps the ripening process. Solos are sensitive to this and ripen faster in the proximity of these fruit.
Is the Solo papaya ripe?
- You can start enjoying this papaya when It’s 50% yellow and when it gives to a gentle squeeze. Once fully yellow, enjoy within 2 to 3 days.
- This is a sweet fruit, 12 to 13 on the Brix scale. It sweetens as it ripens. So keep a close eye on your Solo, the yellower the sweeter.
- Sometimes gaining sweeter levels leaves blemishes on the skin of the papaya. Usually these blemishes are a peel away or easily skimmed away with a knife.