4 cups water
1 inch fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
2 anise stars
1 tbs honey
2 medium Florida starfruit
Nonfat cooking spray
1 tbs brown sugar
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
1. In saucepan over medium-high heat, add the water.
2. Meanwhile, peel the ginger and slice into thin slices.
3. Add the ginger, cinnamon, cloves and anise to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add honey and stir until dissolved.
5. Using a mesh strainer, strain the liquid into a medium bowl. Cool (about 20 minutes).
6. Meanwhile, cut off the ends of the starfruit and trim the ribs with a veggie peeler. Cut into 1/2-inch star slices.
7. Preheat the broiler and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
8. Place starfruit on the sheet and sprinkle brown sugar over them.
9. Broil until the sugar bubbles and starts to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip them and broil another minute.
10. Place stars into 4 individual bowls. Spoon the ginger broth over and into the bowl. Serve warm.