2 Florida starfruit
2 Brooks' Solo papayas
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 pkg graham crackers
1/3 cup Groovy CoconutTM, shredded
2 tbs brown sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
1. Preheat the broiler, if serving within the next 15 minutes.
2. Cut the starfruit into star slices. Poke out the seeds. Cut into small pieces and add to a large bowl.
3. On two sides of the Solo papaya (directly opposite of each other), cut a thin and shallow slice of skin (about a half a dollar size) off the papaya. (You're making this cut to help keep the Solo papaya upright during broiling.)
4. Then cut the Solo papaya in half, discard the seeds, and scoop out the flesh onto a cutting board. Put skins to one side. Chop papaya flesh into small pieces. Add to the starfruit in the bowl.
5. Add the 1/2 cup brown sugar and the juice from the two limes to the large bowl.
6. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place the papaya shells on the sheet and spoon the papaya starfruit mixture into the papaya shells.
7. In a medium-sized plastic bag, crush the graham crackers with a mallet.
8. In a large bowl, combine the graham crackers, coconut, brown sugar, and butter. Sprinkle on top of filled Solo papaya shells.
9. Just before serving, broil for 5 minutes, 4 inches from the heat.
10. Serve using tongs to place shells on dessert dishes to avoid burning your hands.