Dash of salt
½ lb bacon
1 1/2 cups Caribbean Red papaya (about 1/3 a fruit) or 4 Solo papayas, diced in small pieces
1 cup red onion, diced
6 oz. pkg. baby spinach leaves
¾ cup Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
1 tbs Dijon mustard
3 tbs sugar
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
Dash of salt and pepper
Prep time: 15 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350º.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add 4 cups of water and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil. add room temperature eggs to the small saucepan, bring to a slow boil for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain and add cold water to the pan to cool them off.
3. Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil and lay-out the bacon and chopped onion in one layer. Bake until the bacon is crisp, about 12 - 15 minutes. Reserve 2 tbs of the bacon grease. Drain the bacon and onion on paper towels. Chop or tear the bacon into small pieces.
4. Optional papaya choice
a. For the Caribbean Red papaya, peel then cut in half, remove the seeds. Chop into small pieces.
b. For Solo papayas, cut in half, remove the seeds. Scoop out most of the flesh and reserve the papaya skins to use as salad bowls.
5. In a large bowl, add the papaya pieces, chopped bacon, onion, and baby spinach leaves. Toss to combine.
6. In a small bowl, add all the dressing ingredients plus the reserved 2 tbs of bacon grease. Whisk together until well combined. Add to the large bowl and toss to combine. Chill for at least 2 hours.
7. Just before serving, peel and slice the eggs into halves. Toss the salad in the large bowl. If youve used a Caribbean Red papaya, add the egg halves on top of the salad bowl. If youve used Solo papayas, scoop the salad into the reserved papaya shells. Serve immediately.